Sunday, February 10, 2013

Another Year, Another Race... 2013 Tour of New Braunfels

Pre Race Meal in New Braunfels, Texas
     On Friday, February 1, 2013, Evan and I loaded up our bikes in our travel cases for the trip to San Antonio, Tx. Southwest airlines is the only way to fly when you have bikes in tow as they only charge $50 for the travel case verses $150 on every other airline. Traveling on commercial airlines works great when the flights are on time and there aren't any mechanical issues or other inconvenient delays. We got lucky and arrived in San Antonio on time. We threw our gear in the rental car and headed to dinner, then the hotel for a good night's sleep.

     The next morning was bright and sunny and would eventually warm up to nearly 80 degrees! Awesome weather for the first race of the season. This would be Evan's first race with his new team, Slipstream Craddock Junior Development. He would be racing in the Category 3 race against men twice his age and everything in between. As his race started at 11:30 I would have the luxury of getting to watch him compete in the hour long circuit race around a 2.5 circuit. The Cat 3 race was full as they had reached the 75 rider limit imposed by the race organizer. That means the racing would be hard and fast from the gun. It was so fun watching Evan and his teammates race super aggressively, always at the pointy end of affairs. Evan got in a couple of break aways but the field was not letting anything go on a course that really was not technical at all, and therefore not conducive to any small groups slipping off the front. When the bell lap arrived, Evan must have been cleaning his ears because he did not hear the bell and had no clue it was last lap! Imagine his confusion when the pace quickened and guys start throwing their hands in the air. Needless to say, he was not happy. I told him I had made the same mistake one year at Joe Martin.... and I never have made the same mistake again, and my guess is that neither will he!

The start of the Men's Cat 3 Circuit Race
     My race was at 1:30 that afternoon and I lined up with just over 50 (40+) guys. It was a little strange racing with so many guys and not knowing who any of them were, so I really did not know who to watch. I ended up going with almost every break, all of which got brought back. Can you say colossal waste of energy? I paid for the wasted efforts by getting passed 30 meters before the line by two guys for a 3rd place finish in a race I really thought I could win. Another lesson learned about the need to race somewhat conservatively, even when you feel really good in the race. Another slice of humble pie!

     The next day was the road race which was two laps around a 30 mile course. Evan's race started about 10 minutes before mine so I would not be able to watch his finish but watching road races as a spectator leaves a lot to be desired unless you have TV coverage and have Phil and Paul commenting on the dynamics of the race. Evan put in an all out attack with only 6 miles left in his race and if not for an all out organized chase by several of his competitors he would have stayed away. Unfortunately, he was caught only one mile from the finish. He made an incredibly brave move very close to the finish and was almost rewarded for his bold effort. He came away from the race with a good feel for where he is fitness wise, as well as how he stacks up against his competitors. I think he left the race with some added self confidence that he will be vey competitive this year. He also had the awesome experience of racing with teammates that are loyal to one another and prepared to sacrifice their own chances for the good of the team. All very valuable lessons learned.

     Ironically, I attacked late in my race also. There were close to 60 guys that started my race that day and there was a flurry of attacks on a windy section of the course about 15 miles from the finish. After every attack was almost immediately neutralized, I went with all I had at a time I thought everyone would be gassed. I was glad to see one other guy on my wheel as we accelerated away from the field. About 5 miles later our lead had been whittled back down to only a couple hundred meters. Toward the top of a small rise we sat up as if we were giving up, but once over the top and out of sight of the peloton I accelerated again down the back side and very quickly had another nice gap back to the chasing field. With about one mile left to race it was still debatable as to whether we would be caught. As we came around the last curve to the base of a half mile climb to the finish, I felt we would make it. As we began the climb, my breakaway companion slipped off my wheel. I put my head down intent to make it to the line without getting swarmed by the now charging peloton. I won by 300 meters and felt really good knowing I won the race in a manner in which I am not to familiar... solo and off the front. There is a certain satisfaction when a big risk, like attacking with 15 miles to go, is rewarded with a win. Unfortunately, my breakaway companion got swarmed just before the finish.

     After the race Evan and I had to quickly get our bikes packed up and go straight to the airport to catch the last flight back home. Fortunately we made the flight and got home as scheduled. It was a great way to start off the year made extra special by the shared experience with Evan and by seeing him gel with his new team. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment