Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Star Spangled Crit / Arkansas State Championship

I am really late posting this race report for several reasons. Mainly, it was just not a particularly exciting race as the July 1st heat caused significant attrition in the 1,2 race in which I was participating. That, combined with a relatively small field, created a somewhat confusing race for spectators as riders ended up spread out all over the course. Within two laps of the race, however, I had figured out the tactic I needed to employ to win the State Championship crit. Trevor Johnson had shown up with two out of state teammates, and it became apparent early on that they were going to sacrifice their chances for Trevor to get the jersey. Once that became apparent, all I had to do was to mark Trevor, not giving a hoot about what went up the road without him, knowing that his two very strong teammates would bring anything back that did not have Trevor in it. There were several hard attacks early in the race, most of which contained either JD McCay or my other teammate, Wes Wolfenburger. I was able to sit in while this flurry was taking place, unless Trevor tried to slip into the break. Both JD and Wes ended up in doomed breaks as Trevor's teammates would not work with them to stay off the front. Trevor would usually counter attack the breaks that came back and he and I eventually got off the front together.

One of Trevor's teammates was off the front in a solo move and we eventually bridged up to him. The three of us then set about opening up the gap to the dwindling field. By then, the heat had really taken a toll in spite of a group of spectators led by our own Kris French throwing cold water on us every lap. Those regular dousings, combined with JD's miniature air-conditioning system (pantie hose filled with ice stuffed down the back of our jersey) that he and I were both using, kept me out of the danger zone with regard to overheating. Once we caught Andy, Trevor's teammate, he sat on the front and just towed us around the course trying to keep Trevor fresh for the sprint. What I guess Andy did not know is that while Trevor is arguably the strongest time trialist in Arkansas, he does not posses the fastest sprint in Arkansas. In my opinion, that honor would go to Nick Rogers whom we had thankfully dropped earlier in the race. The race had set up perfectly for me and short of crashing, I had it in the bag.

With about three and a half laps to go Trevor put in one last ditch attack to try and get rid of me. I never even came more than 12 inches off his wheel so he sat up not to far past the start/finish line. When Trevor sat up I subtly moved over to the right about 6 to 8 inches rather than jam on the brakes. As I was gliding slowly up Trevor's right side, Andy countered the move from behind me and to my right, but as he came by he clipped my handle bars and put me on the ground at 30 MPH. I got lucky in that he hit my bars with such force that I went down on my right side and was able to get over on my back for the 40' slide across the 125 degree pavement. Other than a bloodied right elbow and hip, I was ok. I tried to remount but my chain was jammed between the Chainring and the frame. Amazingly, Trevor's other teammate, Russ Walker, who was solo behind us, stopped to help me! I have never in my entire racing career had a competitor stop in the middle of a race to offer me assistance. Russ is the strongest 45 + bike racer in the entire southern region and is always a threat on a National level. His demonstration of sportsmanship will not be soon forgotten. In spite of his help it took me two to three minutes to remount and get going again.

I rode to the wheel pit hoping to get a free lap but it was to late as there are no free laps after three laps to go. My race was over so I went to our shade tree where my friends and family were watching to vent a little. After Trevor won the race, he and Andy came over to express their apologies and assure me that it was purely accidental, which I already knew. They are both great guys and I could tell they were sincerely sorry that the race had ended the way it did. Funny how I had just returned from Tour of Americas Dairyland where I did five races with no less than 75 people in each race without ever crashing, then I crash in a three man pace line going straight! That's racing I guess.

The Cat 3 race started right after the 1,2 race and I was excited to watch Evan. After the Ambulance technician cleaned me up a little, I settled in under the shade tree to watch his race. Other than a brave solo move by Ben Stone the 3 race pretty much stayed together. Mike Mattox and Chuck Emmons almost bridged to Ben but they crashed each other out in the 180 degree corner and both remounted and were able to get back in with the field. As the race wound down to the finish it was all back together and with three corners to go, an old sprinter named Eugene Kirsch jumped hard. He got an immediate gap and only Evan went after him. Mike Mattox got Evan's wheel and they came out of the last corner well ahead of the field, but well behind Eugene. Mike came around Evan for 2nd Place but Evan held on for the bronze medal in the State Championship criterium race. I was super happy for him and proud of the move he made to get the result.

Evan's 3rd Place against two fast Sprinters!
It was a great event but really almost to hot for bike racing. I hope the promoters will consider moving the race up on the calendar as it is a fun venue but the July 4th date just does not cooperate weather wise. The State Championship criterium was pretty much the last "A" race on my calendar. I may hop in a race or two in August and September but my "training" is over for the year as I just have no fun training in 100+ degree temperatures. I had one of the best, if not the best, season of racing ever. I think it was such a special year not only because of some good results, but also because of the people I was able to share it with. Travelling and racing with Evan was an experience that very few fathers will ever have the pleasure of having with their son. I feel blessed and fortunate to have been able to spend that kind of quality time with my teenaged son knowing that these years are fleeting. Hopefully, he will also  treasure the memories and be able to look back some day and know these times together were unique and special. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment